Monday 1 October 2012

The kindergarten debate

      When I was 5 years old, I went to kindergarten. I made friends and learned social skills.  I didn't really learn much else. I could already read and count to 1000. I mostly just sat there or helped the other kids. I am born in May. If the world went the way Malcolm Gladwell wanted it to I would be stupid because I am one of the youngest people in my grade.
     So basically I believe that Malcolm Gladwell is flat out wrong. He probably noticed a correlation when looking at the roster, then went on a mad hunt for other sports teams that followed that theory. There are so many teams that he would have eventually found one that supported his theory. His whole book could be filled with complete fraud.
     According to the New York Times article "Delay Kindergarten at your Child's Peril" you shouldn't delay kindergarten because your child will be smarter if he or she is in school and learning instead of sitting at home for an extra year. Gladwell stated that if you delay kindergarten your child will be the oldest and therefore will be treated as the oldest, being offered more opportunities. I personally have never heard of a teacher treating a child differently because he or she is the oldest.
    So to sum up, Gladwell really has no solid evidence supporting his theories, which make no sense. Therefore, I do not agree with him on the kindergarten debate, and am skeptical about this whole book.

1 comment:

  1. You are missing the required, specific references to each text.

    ReplyDelete