Monday 24 September 2012

All about being gifted (and a little talented)

       I guess I'm gifted. I get pretty good grades and big parts in plays. I take g+t. Which is a big perk. Stuff has always been easy. I can do a paper that would take some people days in a couple of hours. I only have to study in history and sometimes science. I can discover patterns really easily and continue them. It's just natural.
        Being gifted isn't all that great though. Some people who don't know me see me as just smart or a good actress or whatever. This really isn't true. I'm shy around strangers but if I have a friend with me I'm loud and fun and maybe considered obnoxious in some people's minds. Also, people (and parents) tend to have very high expectations for me (or people related to me) and when I can't achieve something they become disappointed ( or angry). There's also that little bit about being alienated from the rest of  society by an invisible brick wall ( don't worry you just need an invisible sledgehammer) that they leave out in the brochure.
      Now a lot of people have some assumptions about gifted people that are completely and utterly, flat out wrong. So it's myth buster time. All these myths are from this website. Ha ha just kidding They are from the National Association for Gifted Children's website.
     My first myth is that if a child doesn't get all A's they aren't gifted. First of all, I get B's all the time and I'm sure many other gifted students also do. Secondly, being gifted isn't all about academics. It's also about other talents you may have and being a well-rounded, creative person who can make a difference in the world.
My second myth is that gifted children are stereotypical nerds, complete with a dry personality and pocket protectors. Though I hate to admit that these do exist and that I've met some, I am happy to report that none are in our g+t. In fact, the one stereotypical nerd I know didn't pass the test to get into Rogate or g+t. I believe this was because he was too academically focused to get the creative answers needed for the patterns test.
      My final myth is that AP courses are the same as g+t. This is the most incorrect myth in this blog post and probably the most incorrect myth on the NAGC website, if not the whole Internet. AP or Honors courses are advanced, difficult courses that many gifted students are in, but it is comepletly different from g+t. Gifted and Talented focuses more on the individual student and their own unique accomplishments.
     So there you have it, a lot of important stuff you need to know about being gifted.
(p.s. does anyone else find it ironic that the blogspot spellchecker doesn't recognize "blog" as a real word?)

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, but you needed to actually link to your sources (in addition to the cat!).

    ReplyDelete